Summer Research Scholarships
These scholarships are open to continuing undergraduate students at the University of Adelaide who wish to undertake a six week research project at the University of Adelaide over the 2016-2017 summer vacation.
The aim of the scholarship is to foster an interest in research by eligible students who might not otherwise have considered a career requiring an honours degree or higher degree.
Up to 60 Summer Research Scholarships are available at the University of Adelaide each year.
- Students who have completed at least two years of their undergraduate program, at a standard acceptable level for admission to an Honours program, will be considered in the first instance.
- Students should ensure that an appropriate research project is available within their School.
- Australian citizens, permanent residents, or citizens of other countries and international students who hold current appropriate visas permitting study in Australia are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- In exceptional circumstances students who have completed less than two years of study may be considered.
- Students who are in receipt of, or expect to receive any other summer or vacation scholarships over the 2016-2017 summer vacation (e.g. National Heart Foundation Summer Scholarship, Cancer Council Vacation scholarships) are not eligible for the Adelaide Summer Research Scholarships unless the other scholarship is for a separate research project.
- The scholarships are awarded on the recommendation of the relevant Faculty/School, to the most meritorious students, having regard to academic merit and the availability of a relevant research project within the Faculty/School, which would be beneficial and of interest to each student selected. As applicants will need to be matched to suitable research projects, the scholarships may not be awarded strictly on the basis of academic merit.
- The Scholarship must be taken up in the year at the time it is offered; acceptance of the Scholarship offer cannot be deferred. If a student declines the Scholarship offer, the Scholarship will be offered to the next eligible student.
- The scholarship will last for at least six weeks during the 2016-17 summer vacation starting from 21st November 2016 and ending 19th February 2017.
- The duration of the scholarship may be extended to more than six weeks by a Faculty/ School subject to funding availability.
- The value of the living allowance of the scholarship is usually $1200, paid at $400 per fortnight for the six-week period of the research project.
- Tax payments are not usually deducted from these payments. Recipients of the scholarship are responsible for seeking advice from the Australian Taxation Office regarding the status of the scholarship with regard to taxation.
Please see below for a list of available research projects within the Faculty's Schools and Research Centres. Details of the specific project you are applying for are required on your application form.
- Australian School of Petroleum
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Civil, Environmental and Mining Engineering
- School of Computer Science
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- TRC Mathematical Modelling
- Centre for Automotive Safety Research (CASR) (most suitable for a Mechatronic, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Student)
Applicants must consult staff of the relevant Faculty/School/Discipline in which they intend to undertake a project. The application form is available from the Scholarships Office.
Completed application forms should be lodged at: Ask Adelaide, Hub Central, Level 3 Blue Area, The University of Adelaide, SA 5005.
Applications close 5pm Friday 7 October 2016. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the Faculty office in mid-late November.
Please note only completed applications will be considered.
Please ensure all signatures are provided before submitting.